Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Fighting Irish: Week 1

The Irish got off to a solid start this year versus Perdue. Dayne Crist appears to be a worthy successor to Clausen and Quinn. The ground game looks much improved and the defense looks better than it has in awhile. I know it's just one game and it wasn't exactly a blowout cakewalk (you guys got nailed for a safety? Seriously?) but I'm cautiously getting my hopes up. I'm looking forward to enjoying many a fine dram of Irish whiskey while watching Notre Dame do better than .500.

Inquiring minds may want to know which Irish pub I selected for my Fighting Irish viewing pleasure. Well, I didn't. You see, I knew I was going to probably get a bit loud and rowdy, this being the kick-off game and all. Plus, since the temperature leveled off into the realm of bearability, I was going to be able to partake in copious amounts of Irish whiskey (Tully Dew in this case). I know it sounds strange coming from a committed shanty Irishman, but I didn't want to act like a boor at one of my favored local pubs. I can't stand those guys who scream and holler at the top of their miserable lungs over every down of a game. I like a lively sports bar scene, but I don't need my ears to bleed because the guy next to me is blowing a very loud gasket because his fantasy stats are getting shellacked. I don't want to be that obnoxious, screaming jag-off, at least not in place that I frequent. So, I decided to take in the game at home, where I could bellow and carry on to my heart's content. I'd only be disturbing my neighbors, and we don't talk much anyway. (And probably even less so now, considering all the windows were open in my place while I watched the game). Now, I just have to decide what whiskey I'm going to have as an accompaniment to this Saturday's game versus Michigan. There's a bottle of Paddy on my shelf that's been looking awfully lonely of late. Here's hoping that I'll be toasting to a 2-0 start.

No comments:

Post a Comment